Basma Hosam has illustrated over 30 books in the Middle East and has worked with Oxford University for an Arabic language project. She is also the author-illustrator of the award-winning book Something Searching for Himself. She loves adding cute, funny details to her illustrations that make children laugh and search for new things every time they open the book.
Growing up in the land of ancient Egyptians, Basma always dreamed of being an artist. At a young age she made a small fortune making and selling handmade accessories, such as friendship bracelets. Basma had pen pals around the world, with whom she exchanged letters, postcards, and parcels with a lot of chocolates and gifts. She keeps in touch with many of those friends to this day.
A graduate of Faculty of Fine Arts in Cairo, Basma now lives in Cairo with her super creative 3d artist husband and their adorable daughter.
Awards / Honors
- Abdelaziz mansour for Arabic Publisher Best Children’s Book ( Something Searching for Himself)
- Etislat Award for Arabic Children’s Literature (shortlisted twice)
- 2020 Book of the Year (The Dearest Friends)
- 2021 Early Readers (Easy-بسيطة)
- Shortlisted on Arab Children’s Cook Publishers forum
- 2021 Best Illustrations ( Easy-بسيطة)