Marilyn Sadler is the co-creator of Playhouse Disney’s Handy Manny show, for which she received an Emmy nomination for Executive Producer in the category of “Outstanding Special Class Animated Program.” Since its debut, Handy Manny has averaged approximately 2 million viewers a week, has generated consistent critical acclaim and has developed a deeply loyal audience. The Disney Channel also produced three Original Movies based on Marilyn’s book, Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century, which have since become two of the highest rated original movies in the history of The Disney Channel. Marilyn’s other television credits include two PBS Reading Rainbow programs featuring her children’s book character Alistair, an Alistair program for the BBC, three ABC Weekend Specials featuring her character P.J. Funnybunny, and a show based on her children’s book, Elizabeth and Larry, for Showtime’s Shelley Duvall’s Bedtime Stories. Today, Marilyn continues to develop characters for both television and children’s books, most recently co-authoring the Harper Collins mystery series, Charlie Piechart.
Awards / Honors
- Emmy Nomination, Executive Producer, Handy Manny, 2009
- Imagen Award, Best Children’s Program, Handy Manny, 2010
- Handy Manny, Cable Awards: Best Show/Animated, 2009
- Handy Manny, NAMIC Vision Award, 2008
- Handy Manny, Media Access Award, The California Governor’s Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities, 2007