The NYPL’s List of Best Books for Kids 2017 Includes Five Books From Our Artists/Authors
November 21, 2016
The New York Public Library recently released a selection of their favorite kids books of the year. They call every book on this list “outstanding.” Five of the books included on their extensive list were written or illustrated by one of Painted Words’s authors or artists!
- If You Were the Moon by Laura Purdie Salas and illustrated by Jaime Kim
- Noah Webster’s Fighting Words by Tracy Nelson Maurer and illustrated by Mircea Catusanu
- Olga and the Smelly Thing from Nowhere by Elise Gravel
- One Last Word: Wisdom from the Harlem Renaissance written by Nikki Grimes with illustration contributed by Shadra Strickland, Frank Morrison, and Liz Zunon
- Thunder Underground by Jane Yolen and illustrated by Josée Masse
Congratulations to all our talented artists! Check out the full list of the NYPL’s recommended books here.
Kirkus Praises Upcoming If You Were the Moon, Written by Laura Purdie Salas and Illus. by Jaime Kim
November 23, 2016
Coming out in March 2017, If You Were the Moon, written by Laura Purdie Salas and illustrated by Jaime Kim, is a poetic and scientific exploration of all the things the moon does for the Earth and for humans. To ensure accuracy, it was even reviewed by a real astrophysicist! In their review, Kirkus called If You Were the Moon “inventive and spirited.” They write of Jaime’s art that, “Each illustration is tinged with starlight, making the book a pleasant nighttime read,” and conclude that, “Salas and Kim provide a great addition to a nighttime-window reading shelf and/or early-science classroom.”
You can order If You Were the Moon online here!