Geekwrapped’s List of 100 Science Books for Kids Includes Five of Our Artists’ Books
April 24, 2017
Geekwrapped, a website that recommends gifts for the geeks and science enthusiasts in your life, recently compiled a list of one hundred best science books for children. Five of our author and illustrator’s books were included on this list, including three written and illustrated by Gene Barretta! These books included…
- If…A Mind-Bending New Way of Looking at Big Ideas and Numbers, written by David J. Smith and illustrated by Steve Adams. If helps children understand complicated big ideas by comparing them to smaller, common objects.
- Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci, by Gene Barretta. This fun biography introduces children to the famous inventor who laid the groundwork for many of history’s great inventions.
- Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin, by Gene Barretta. Another biography, this one focuses on Ben Franklin and how he and his inventions shaped the modern world.
- The Worm by Elise Gravel. Part of her acclaimed Disgusting Critters series, The Worm is full of fun and gross details about this common creature. Geekwrapped calls it, “Really fun and educational.”
- Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives by Gene Barretta. The third in his series of biographies on inventors, this one shares the successes and failures of Thomas Edison.
Geekwrapped’s full list of science books for children can be found here.
Elise Gravel Wins “Science in Society” Award forThe Fly
June 23, 2015
Elise Gravel has been awarded the Science in Society 2014 Children’s Book Award for her book, The Fly. The awards are granted by Canada’s National Association of Science Writers. The Disgusting Critters series teaches kids about some of the world’s nastiest creatures, serving up lots of gross scientific facts along with a big helping of humor. Congrats Elise!
The Rat and The Fly by Elise Gravel receive awards
June 4, 2015
The Rat by Elise Gravel was selected for the Prix des Premières Lectures Coup de pouce Clé, in France, andThe Fly was selected for the Science in Society Children’s Book Award. The two books are part of Gravel’s Disgusting Critters series.
The Prix des Premières Lectures Coup de pouce Clé is chosen by over 10,000 children every year, and the aim of the award is to promote the love of books to children in a fun and educational way.
The Science in Society Children’s Book Award is presented annually from the Canadian Science Writers’ Association, and The Fly was selected based on its “initiative, originality, scientific accuracy, clarity of interpretation and value in promoting a better understanding of science by the public.”
2015 Wisconsin State Reading Association “Picture This!” List
March 19, 2015
Painted Words authors and illustrators Molly Idle, Elise Gravel, Vanessa Brantley Newton, and Ashley Spires had books selected for the 2015 WSRA (Wisconsin State Reading Association) Picture This! List . For this award, the committee evaluates books based on the quality of literature, the appeal for students, and the value for classroom use. The books selected from our talented artists include Flora and the Penguin, The Fly, The Worm, The Hula Hoopin’ Queen, and The Most Magnificent Thing. Congrats, ladies!
To view the full list, click here.
The Spider and Head Lice by Elise Gravel are available now
Feb 10, 2015
The Spider and Head Lice by Elise Gravel are available now!
The much-anticipated latest books in Elise Gravel’s Disgusting Critters series are finally for sale!
They join other titles The Worm, The Rat, The Slug and The Fly in a fun, informative series all about those nasty little creatures many refer to as disgusting.
Elise Gravel’s The Slug and The Rat are Out Now!
August 7, 2014
The two latest books in Elise Gravel’s Disgusting Critters series are now available from Tundra Books. Elise investigates the lives of rats and slugs with humor and plenty of nasty factoids, showing that while they may be absolutely disgusting, that’s no reason to dislike these friendly creatures! Rats, slugs, worms, flies….what next!?
Elise Gravel’s Disgusting Critters Series Earns Acclaim
February 28, 2014
The first two books in Elise’s Disgusting Critters series, The Worm and The Fly, come out this month. Both books have earned acclaim for their comical mix of educational and entertaining grossness!
Praise for The Worm:
“Young readers will at least come away with a thorough understanding of how unsanitary these insects are and also, perhaps, clearer pictures of their physical makeup, life cycle and even some of the differences among fly species. Gross-out potential, for sure–but also likely to give larval entomologists a mild buzz.”